Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Marathon Hangover... The week after

So you train for months, eat a crazy specific diet and mentally drain yourself. The day comes, you run your heart out and finish victorious. Then it's over. Many of us know our next race. If we are truly crazy we know every next race for the next ten years. Still though, what happens when it's over. After a huge race, like NYC, what happens now is the question?
New York was a dream that is now over. I've wanted it for a year and I exceeded my goals. I've basked in the glory and have begun to prepare for Paris. Paris is a goal I never thought could be an option. It's almost hard to fathom this race. I also have a half in Central Park in January and my name is currently in the lottery for the official half marathon in NYC. I also know that I'm going to play the lottery for both New York and Chicago for the fall (maybe even Berlin). London for next spring would be crazy but, a possibility or maybe (if I qualify) another round in Boston. Tokyo is a far off dream that I will wait a little longer for considering it's random placement in the season (only Tokyo!).
So you go home and see that medal hanging on the wall, you remember running down 5th avenue and the moment you crossed that finish line. Even though Paris is right around the corner, a part of you feels the down of the moment gone. You worked so hard, came out ahead and now it's over. For me this lasts about a second because I always have a race right around the corner. A lot of people almost feel depressed afterwards. I know if I did not have a specific goal I would probably feel the same way. They always say running can be an adiction. I feel the high of the race is the actual addicting part. Working hard and finishing can be a high that is comprable to to many substances and common adictions. Trust me this is much healthier than drugs or alcohol but it can take a toll on you.
For me the way to deal has been to focus on the new task at hand. In Paris, I want to PR. I want to at least know I can qualify for Boston even if I never go back. To get stronger and faster is every runners goal. I was so close to qualifing in NYC that I can taste it. Hopefully less wind in Paris and I can make that dream a reality. Like I always say though, "I just want to finish and not shit my pants!"
For me, New York was proof that I am a runner. Like I have said before, I wanted to finally distance myself from my past and finally be put in the category of runner. I feel like i've finally achieved that goal and will be judged on my speed instead of my former self. It was really a dream come true and now it's time to focus on Paris and shaving 15 minutes off my time. Paris is another huge race and a chance on a global stage to prove once again I'm a runner. A chance to no longer be judged as a weight loss story but as a person who runs. A chance to feel victorius as a marathoner instead of a former overweight drunk. Those goals keep me from having the "what happens now?" feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment