Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Run this Town Tonight! NYC round up!

New York is where dreams can come true, and mine did! I have dreamed of a sub 4 hour marathon, done! Being in the New York Times, didn't have to marry a rich guy! Did not want to use the bathroom, no scabies for me! The most beautiful course ever, all five boroughs, life changing! Honestly the most amazing day ever.
First I will say, NYC has this on the lock down. I arrived at the Public Library at 7 am and no wait to get on the bus. We took a nice ride through the city in a plush, warm bus. No school busses (take note BAA). It was actually really calming, until we hit Verrazano Bridge. That is when you realize "Holy shit, I'm here!" They drop you off into athlete's village thinking that bridge is crazy! Athlete's village for NYC kinda seemed like Disney World. You have your own village for your color with plenty of food and coffee. There was huge jumbo screens letting you know when to go in every language. When I saw this I realized just how big of a deal this was. People were there from all over the world to compete and my nerves sky rocketed! At that moment, I got called to my corral.
When I got to my corral you could see the lead up to the bridge and once again NYC did not disapoint! An actual gun went off and they started playing Frank Sinatra. Really! It was the coolest thing ever. I felt kinda stupid being mesmerized. That lasted about two seconds because I got pushed into the waiting line. Took one last trip to the bathroom and got in line. They walked us up to the bridge and then, BOOM. I was off and Franky was playing. I started to cry a little then but that all stopped when I hit the wind tunnel!
Verrezano bridge felt like I was being sucked into a black hole! Normally this is the most beautiful sight, but the whole time I was thinking "get me off this damn bridge now!" We were all knocking into each other and I just found a clearing and booked it. I knew the bridge was two miles long and decided to get out of there and then start pacing. Best idea I ever had. Once I was off the bridge we arrived in Brooklyn and it was crazy. So many people were there with "Welcome to Brooklyn" signs. When you enter the next borough, there is always a ton of signs that say welcome. Honestly the best part was that no matter where you were, there was a crowd. It really was a party. Through Brooklyn I realized two things; one, NYC is not flat and easy and two, I've really learned how to get in a groove and stay there. I just kept going and if I felt good I would speed up a little but to never sprint. I started to see the clocks and realized I was on track. I just tried to keep a level head and keep it steady. In brooklyn I passed the 4:15 and 4:00 pace groups, I just told myself keep in front of them and you will be fine.
Once we were in queens, I was shocked that I still felt really good. I just kept going and when I saw my time for the half, I realized I had already PR. I was thinking this can't be right. It was though and maybe that was what I needed to keep going. Queensborough bridge was the best view because You see Mannahttan and realize your almost there. I sprinted off that bridge, but still noticed people stopping and taking selfies! Seriously, this is a timed event dumb assess! Well, it's their time and they can do what they want with it I guess.
Mannhattan was crazy! the last ten miles were wall to wall people. Up first street, and over to the Bronx. The Bronx was the most disapointing because you only spent about a second there. It was like "Don't blink you will miss it!" Plus the church chior was amazing! Then, you see the 5th avenue bridge and realize your on the last leg.
This was the moment I realized the wind. You are so tired and the wind was trying to knock me over. I refused to give up! I ran down 5th avenue and into Central Park. It was perfect and wall to wall people. The cool thing I did not realize is for about a half a mile the spit you back out onto 5th avenue and you run down mid town. It was so cool and gave me that burst of energy to finsih strong.
Once back in Central Park it was the finish and I knew I was close to my goal so I booked it. I didn't notice my dad cheering I just say the finish line and sprinted. 3:46:12!!! I cried so hard when I finished because the volunteer told me it was ok to cry. AKA you look like crap but you ran a marathon so it's ok!
Paris is 5 months away and time to take this show on the global stage. Today starts a new training season full of snow, ice and craziness! I'll always rememeber Boston as the first and NYC as the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment