Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Monday, January 26, 2015

First race of 2015... Is NYC my lucky charm?


My two best times have been in my favorite place. The half marathon was 2 loops around Central Park. If you have ever been around Central Park then you know it's got some crazy hills. Plus looping can always be a disaster! For the first time, despite all of this, I didn't screw up a half. I finally showed up, didn't lose steam and performed. I just wished it had felt that way. 
I felt like shit that morning. My legs were sore from having to run through snow the day before. My stomach was funky. My toes still had lingering blisters from running in dead shoes. I was thinking "well time to bomb another half!" I got myself showered and dressed and got to the train for what I thought was a wasted effort. When I got there I saw exactly what I thought I would. Tons of people looking like expert racers. This was not a race if you wanted to do your first half you would have chosen. There were no charities, medals or frills. People were out for time and blood. 10,000 to be exact and there was a cutoff time. There was not the usual costumes or skirts. Tons of spandex and serious faces.  I picked up my number checked my gear and was pushed out to the start. My stomach still hurt and I was yawning. I paid the entry fee so I wasn't going to chicken out! Don't get me wrong NYRR always puts on a party with plenty of water, Gatorade and fuel. There was a D.J. Spinning and actually a large crowd. 
We went off and I felt slow from the start. I decided to avoid the clocks and just take it as a long run. The whole course just felt up and down. It was definitely challenging. At the end of the loop there was a gigantic hill. The first time I went around I thought "remember that for loop 2!" Because that hill was some heart break hill crap! About the time I came into loop 2 I realized I wasn't doing to bad because there was a ton of people still going around for loop 1. It made me feel a little better but it also came with some issues. Double the people on the course with some going twice as fast. I don't think anyone thought to hard about that. Did I mention we only had a lane blocked off! Yeah that's a problem. I knocked into a ton of fellow racers. Sorry people! After the last big hill I pretty much felt like I suck but it's okay because it's good to suck sometimes. At mile 12 I didn't feel to bad so I pushed up until the finish and saw my time and said "fuck me" right out loud. Not very cute! I had my personal best of 2015! 
I was shocked! I felt like crap, felt I ran like crap and shaved off 35 seconds on my pace per mile average. I was completely stunned. I almost cried again. Then I sucked it up because I have made NYC see the ugly "I just ran" cry in November and it was bad then! Plus this race was a ton of crazy runners, not people having there life changing experience. Crying was not really allowed. Now seeing my stats; 899 out of 10,000! 36 in my age category! That's fucking crazy!! All in all my first good half was a fun experience but I wished I had felt like I was flying not just performed. Is NYC my good luck charm though? We shall see in Paris which is my main focus right now! Less than 3 months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment