Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Where my girls at? Small woman's field size in Paris


So I took a look at the website for the Marathon de Paris and saw that only 21% of the runners in 2014 were female. That struck me as odd. This would seem like a dream marathon for my female runners. Spring time in Paris, fashion, culture... The list is long and pretty girly. Then I looked up photos and I couldn't find any with just girls! There is a pretty big international field, on most marathoner's wish list and the course is from all accounts breathtaking. So what gives ladies? Where are my females at?
Sure it's not the easiest but hey, us females don't look for easy! We have a pretty good turnout for Boston every year. Boston is known for being a possible way to induce a heart attack. To me, if your going to do an international race and add a vacation with it, why not Paris? Lot's of woman runners every year enter destination marathon for a vacation. It seems like Paris would be an obvious choice. Sure, London is a marathoner's dream as well but it's notoriously hard to get into and pretty expensive to be there. There are marathons in pretty much every major city all over the globe but Paris, France is pretty high up there on places females want to go. The marathon hits all the major attractions (mile 18 right under the Eiffel Tower!) and has perfect weather. The deal seems to be most people get a personal best not from it being flat but because the weather is a runner's dream.
Now don't get me wrong, a race full of men doesn't sound like a bad idea. It actually sounds like a great idea! Lot's of single me in my age range with a runner's high... Oui! It was just something that struck me as weird. It seems like a girly race to me but I don't know how popular running is in France either. All of the magazines promote Paris as a runner's dream vacation. That could also be due to the amount the French tourism group is paying to Runner's World magazine.
I'm not sure the reason but, I'm about to find out. What sounds to me as the perfect girly marathon may turn out to be not so much. I've got 94 days to train and then descend on to France and find out for myself. Plus I need to learn French, find an outfit, blah blah blah. With under 3 weeks to my half my short term goals are focused on Central Park! There will be a ton of girls there at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment