Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Oh the joys of training injuries!



This morning I had a lot on my brain and wasn't really paying attention while I was running. I basically tried to run the crap out of myself on a longer run. This led to an unfortunate friend I've gotten to know well since I started training for marathons. I had another internal organ concussion. I seem to be prone to this if I push to hard. 21% of all marathoners experience this and trust me it hurts like a bitch! 
At first I thought maybe I should go to the hospital because it felt like chest pain. It was on my left side and as everyone knows that's not something you should play with. Then I went to the bathroom and found blood and relaxed. I know, TMI and seeing blood made me relax? Yeah, that's kind of messed up but when this is routine you know the only cure is to rest and slow the hell down. Sleep and relax was on the menu today. Lovely start to my 3 day weekend! ( Here in the states it's Martin Luther King day). This got me thinking about all the lovely things us marathon runners do and put up with in terms of injuries. Blisters, runners nipple and total body soreness are just the tip of the ice berg! Who would think knocking your internal bits around was common from prancing around. It sounds like something a football player would get, not a runner! Here I am though, stuck in bed for just pushing it too hard up a hill! 
From losing control of your bodily functions, concussions, torn ligaments and stress fractures we all just want to know when can we get back out there and hit the road. It's pathetic how much we can't be sidelined and how addicted we are. We all know the risks and are willing to suffer the consequences of our actions! I am still going out tomorrow on long run Sunday but will most certainly take it easy! With less than 3 months to Paris and 1 week until my half now is not the time to play it safe! Well I will go slow tomorrow but will cover my mileage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment