Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Monday, January 19, 2015

From crazy to psycho... Ultra marathons


Most people think running a marathon is crazy.. They have never heard of an ultra marathon. These are races that are longer than 26.2. There are 50k, 50 miler and 100 milers out there. Yep, some people consider marathons as sissy races. Having done a few I can say there is nothing sissy about a marathon. But being crazy I've always thought that I would love to try one. Maybe this just means I've truly lost all sanity or maybe I just love a challenge. I haven't cured the mile 22 choke so I know I'm not ready but after running 48 miles this past 3 day weekend I wondered.. What would it take to run an ultra?
So I looked up training plans online and found a ton. Clearly I'm not the only one who is considering death by running. Training plans always seem scary but these take the cake. I love how they say if you have done 1 or 2 marathons you can easily do a 50 miler. Is a 50 mile race ever easy? They look a lot like marathon training plans but instead of mileage for a long run they tell you how many hours you should run... Like 5! I've never ran for 5 hours in my life! That's crazy! But the bragging rights would be epic and I'm sure it would be life changing! They also pretty much tell you to pack a healthy buffet. You pretty much have to eat meals while running. How the hell do you run and eat lunch at the same time? Plus they are all mostly trail runs and that's a little hard to train for in a city.
My conclusion... Maybe it will be my mid life crisis race. Not anytime soon!! All of the pictures are guys in short shorts with beards. I don't want a beard! They have one in Colorado every year. Seems like the place but I've never been so I don't know if it would be fun. Just some random thoughts on a possible epic goal. With less then 3 months to Paris that is my main focus!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment