Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Heat Training... How to look like a drowned rat!

You look at the weather about 6 times during the day and the temperature keeps going up. You think to yourself "What am I smoking?" All summer this is how I've spent my days. Sitting, praying that the internet is lying to me. Then I go out for my run and realized it's about nasty level 10. I run right after work, which ends up being mid afternoon. The hottest time of day. At the end of my run my make up is crawling down my face and I look like I just took a shower. I told myself it was good for my character. Heat has definitely taught me how to talk myself into finishing under any circumstances.
I started puposefully heat training when preparing for my second marathon. Even though the marathon was at night (random, I know), I knew it was still going to be hot. I really learned my lesson during a shake out half marathon I ran in early June. They only had one water stop. It was eighty degrees out. I threw up twice. There was no Gatorade or sports drink before, during or after. 13.1 miles and nothing! Needless to say my parents had to pick me up at the medical tent and I realized hydration is everything. I'm not a fan of sports drinks. I prefer water and orange slices. Many swear by GU. Yes, it's called GU and I think it tastes exactly like it sounds. The first time I tried it I spit it back out. Think Gatorade in pudding form. Yep, it's that nasty.
You also learn during heat runs make up is a bad idea. I know it sounds pretty logical, but at the end of the day, I'm still a girl. I have dignity (kind of). I have purchased many so called water proof eye liners, mascara and primers and I can tell you first hand. They are only waterproof if the water happens to not splash you in the face. I sweat a lot. After a run I look like I just took a shower or there was a down pour. I'm always so careful not to rub my eyes always thinking it's still on there but nope. I look in the mirroor and it's embarressing. I look like a cross between a KISS member and a scary clown. Be afraid children, be afraid!
There are some advantages to training in heat. After 31 years, I have a tan! Now it maybe an uneven sports bra tan but I'll take it! I have the coloring of a sparkly vampire so a tan is a monumental achievement. I wear it with pride! Also, heat training has helped with the mental push. Many ninety degree days I had to talk myself into finishing. These days I may hate it and leave a lot of my DNA on the streets of Boston but I no longer feel the fatigue of the heat.
It's fall but today is another hot one but the good news is that's going to change very soon. Even after a great summer of fun running adventures, I can't wait for the cold. I would personally rather run in a snowstorm then run in a heat wave. Good bye summer, you will not be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment