Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Running clothes... The great equalizer!

Many run in a t-shirt and shorts. Absolutely nothing wrong with this! You should run in whatever you feel comfortable in. See that's the thing, there are so many options and styles. Some are great looking, some are for performance, some for weather and some for making a lot of people driving by you laugh and honk!


Personally I've tried them all but a small few. I have tried pretty much every company out there simply because very few make my size. I prefer to be sucked in tight like a vacuum when I'm running. During the summer its all capri running tights and tank tops. I wear bright colors to be seen. Not in a look at me kind of way but, a please don't knock or run over me. The color scheme never helps but I keep thinking it will. I have seen some pretty crazy outfits during races and just on the streets. Lot's of running skirts, short shorts and tank tops, sports bras. A lot of t-shirts with catchy slogans like "I run so I don't choke people", "I run for beer" and my personal favorite "running sucks". If it sucks, why are you out here. Running skirts also amaze me. There is a part of running no one ever wants to talk about called chafing. Body glide helps with this issue, but it only does so much. Also many of the elite athletes wear running bikinis. They have the body but that has to be uncomfortable.
During the winter months I find to be the most tricky. This winter I wore 2 pairs of running tights, a tank top, t-shirt, a sweater and a dryfit jacket. I also wore 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of gloves, a scarf and a hat. The whole keep you warm crap is so just in your mind. I would sweat and proceed to get hypothermia. I had my hands stop working on several ocassions. Sure after about a mile your warm but once you stop, you are screwed. The things we put up with for what we love.
Considering there are so many different companies it's hard to find ones that work for everyone. I find Nike and Abercrombie to be the best and randomly the City Sports store brand. Mainly I like these because they have my size. Adidas, New Balance and the north face are too big for me but many swear by them. Truthfuly you have to be comfortable. The outfit should be breathable enough for you. It's all about what you like and if you want to wear some crazy outfit, who cares, your still running! Just be careful of the chafing and runners nipple. Runners nipple is real and scary! 2 months to NYC, plenty of time to find the perfect race day outfit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment