Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Why are you still running?"... Why does everyone ask that!

I get this question all the time and I can't fathom the reason. "Why are you still running?" This seems to puzzle so many. Let's start out with the obvious. I usually counter with the question, "If you work that hard for so long, why would you stop?" This also seems to ellicet some thought. What I'm usually actually thinking is "What's it to you?" At the end of the day, I'm not asking you to come with me.
Training for your first marathon, you have to start from scratch. It takes months of working your way up to the milage. Most people, without a marathon in the schedule, are not running 18, 19, 20 miles on a Sunday. You start out around 10 and work your way up. Now after months of training, random injuries and surviving the 26.2 mile journey wherever, you just stop? Maybe for a week to recover (or in my case a day because I'm nuts), but stop entirely, umm... probably not! Running is for most people who choose to run a marathon their passion. After working that hard, they are not going to just throw in the towel.
Another reason is most who decided to run a marathon, probably were running before. Most people don't wake up one day from a sedentary life and decide "I'm running a marathon!" Maybe a 5K or even a 10K, but marathon, not likely. The amount of effort and discipline that goes into training, you kind of have to like it. No matter your speed and time, it's a long ass journey and you have to love it to push through. If you did not like it before, it's going to be a looong road! Now some people do run one just to run one but, it's unlikely they won't still be recreational joggers afterwards. For me, training for Boston, I wanted to learn how to run marathons, plural. I wanted to run them all and why not start with the worst. If you can take on Boston, you can take on them all.
Another reason I'm always caught off gaurd by the question is, this is how I lost a good chunk of the weight. Most people who ask know this. So my question back is "Why would I stop what I love that helps me stay healthy?" Running also helps in the mental department. Plus once you find a good goal why not keep going? Most marathon runners you talk to will tell you they have done multiple in different states and countries. It's fun to see new places and run different routes.
Next I always wonder why even ask? Whats it to you? I'm the kind of person who wants everyone to run because it's amazing but I'm not asking you to. So if I want to still run, what does it matter? The only reason for this question is because it's usually delivered in a rude tone. It's ok to run, nobody gets hurt except for me. It's ok for everyone to run. I think whether it's basket weaving, finding the latest trends in fashion or collecting salt and pepper shakers, if you love it.... DO IT!!
So there are my random thoughts on a dumb question! Less than 6 weeks to the TCS NYC marathon and it feels surreal. I cant honestly express how f*&king excited I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment