Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Haters gonna hate.... Or just laugh at you:(

 
It's the less than two week push before NYC. Feeling the nerves! This is about the time when you start worrying about getting to the start on time, what to pack in my bag for after, what am I going to wear, do I have enough body glide and can I actually do this? Unfortunately this is also the time when people feel the need to either get excited with you or make fun of you. I'm still not quite sure why running a marathon illicit so much hate, but it does. Lots of comments like "Why would you do this again", "That's just dumb" or "I would never do that" seem to be appropriate things to say. My thought always is "Did I ask you your personal thoughts on a marathon?" I can tell you I never have.
For some strange reason I've found people only have two reactions to a person changing and achieving their dreams. They either get really excited for you and become personal cheerleaders or they try to bring you down. I'm just speaking about my own experiences. Throughout this weight loss and marathon training I've reconnected with my family and old friends, made stronger bonds with some of my good friends and made new friends. I've also lost friends and have been ridiculed more in the last year then in my entire life. I was not picked on in school, I made good friends in college and never had problems with the girls at work. Once I started running and became healthy it was on like donkey kong. The funny thing is that once I started training for my first marathon, I got on the healthy diet track. Yet this is the time when everyone started laughing behind my back and calling me anorexic. My family and close friends were extremely supportive and knew I was running and that's why I was slim. Many believed I would not finish and were shocked when I did in a good time. After Boston I had even more friends jump ship.
Marathon running had always been a silent dream and I honestly never expected to be able to do one. Now in the eve of my third, in better shape then ever, I still get comments and many still don't talk to me. The friends I have now are the best a girl can ask for. I have the greatest family and they are my biggest fans. Maybe this was a great way to weed out the negative influences in my life. It hurt, I cried a lot in the beginning. Sometimes I still cry. When I do get down about the comments and the silent treatments I use it as fuel on my training runs and during races. For instance, I was told I looked like a man now by an ex. When I was on a bad run training run for my second marathon I thought to myself "Well if you look like a man, run like a man!" Pushed through to 18 miles silently laughing knowing he can't run even a mile.
As people we should all celebrate each others achievements. It doesn't have to be health or running. It could be school, opening up a business and finding the perfect cat sweater. We should all just be happy for one another and if you can't be happy for someone else because of your own life, fix it. We should all stop judging what other people have and focus on ourselves. I needed a change, so I changed. I'm still a work in progress and have far to go but anything is possible. Nobody is perfect but you put in what you get out. Well there is that rant for the week. It's time to freak out! Time to get excited!! LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO NYC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment