Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Only 1/2 crazy... My shakeout half in Boston

So I like to run a half before my marathons. It's a time to put on the prison number, feel a race, check my training and who dosen't love a free banana! The Boston athletic association is the group that runs the famous Boston marathon. It's famous for being one of the toughest marathons in the world. So of course, their half marathon had to be equally nuts! Perfect training for the NYC marathon. It gives the feeling that it can't be worse than this!! Gotta love Boston!
I was scared. I was injured two weeks before my last marathon and made the decision not to race until this half. Train hard and rehab was the goal. Last weekend I ran my twenty mile training run so a half was the perfect shakeout. I felt great on my training run so I figured I would be okay. Then I started to worry again that I was a one trick pony. What if I bust a knee? What if I have stomach issues? Race day is always scary but after 3 months.. You freak. I got up at 5 am and just decided to race and leave it all on the field. The BAA always puts on a great show. It's not a party. It always feels like a prestigious event. It was also a beautiful course, but a hill ridden "I'm going to kick your ass and make you feel like death!" Why I didn't think that a Boston approved race wasn't going to serve me my ass on a platter, I don't know! The last 5 miles were all uphill and I was so happy to see the finish.
That being said I had a personal best and came in way above what I thought would happen. I was also upset that we were at a zoo and not a damn furry creature in sight! I was promised the zoo!! I expect to see a fuzzy friend!! I guess you can't have it all:(. Kept an 8:30 split which is great and a great new running shirt. Plus the bragging rights of another great time on a Boston course. Although, anyone who finishes a Boston race gets bragging rights!!! Congrats to all who ran and now it's really time to get pumped for NYC!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment