Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Monday, December 22, 2014

Determination... is there a limit?

Every runner has a goal. It may be to finally get through a 5k, run a half, a full or just to get out there everyday. Enjoying the process is important. I can't imagine training and hating it. The amount of running you have to do and then hating every minute of it would be awful. I don't care what anyone says, everyone has a time goal. Everyone has a target they want to hit. The question becomes where is the line of healthy determination and obsession. Most people who run marathons are always looking for that Boston qualifier. I want to get an under 3:30 marathon but many who run never qualify.
Right after NYC I started to think maybe I could get there. Maybe in Paris I would get that magical time that would make me a qualifier. I started to push myself harder and became obsessional with the process. My "determination" that was somewhat healthy before became over the top and I started to suck. I was starting to freak out and I sat down and really thought about what was going wrong. I was so focused that I missed the big picture, I'm going to Paris! Truth is, I was so focused on so many aspects of my life I needed to just relax. I was worried about my weight, boys and running. I totally lost focus on the most important part, this is for fun.
I've regrouped, revamped my training and decided to just go out and have fun. I'm still pushing myself and always finish my mileage. I have increased my miles per week, but if one run is slow it's not a reason to cry. If I'm up two pounds it's going to be okay. I just have to watch what I'm eating. If other things go wrong just sweat it out. Truth is the last couple of weeks I feel stronger and faster. My new mileage goals have been easier. I've also started to focus on the tourist parts of Paris. Looking up all there is to do, where to go and what to see. I run the marathon in the beginning of the trip so plenty of time to rest and relax around the streets of Paris. I'm getting back to the point, forget everything and just run. It got me this far. I'm going to let it take me farther. I'm going to go to Paris run an epic race and then pretend I'm Carrie Bradshaw and live my ultimate dream. To Paris.. with love in 111 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment