Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Friday, December 5, 2014

The rainbow connection..... Dreaming the dream of Paris!


So today I read something that made me have a slight exestential moment. I will tell you this, I have been in somewhat of a funk and it slightly woke my ass up. In life we get so hung up on the day to day grind that sometimes we forget to stop and think about all the good things that have come. We forget to think about all that has happened and be in the moment. After reading this (at the butt crack of dawn), I realized what an amazing journey I'm on and it's time to enjoy it. Getting hung up on finals, holiday worries and current mini dramas have somewhat soured the big picture, Marathon de Paris.
Everyone does it. We all fall victim of getting caught up in the what we don't have and what has passed us by. The things we thought we would have by now and what others have that we don't. This morning I realized that a- I wake up WAY to early and b-I'm training for Paris! I got into the Paris marathon and every run from now until April 12th 2015 is for making a dream since I was a kid come true. Getting faster, stronger and chasing the Boston qualifying time has weighed me down instead of just enjoying the run and getting excited for this amazing race. I've done Boston, what feels like several times, and there are so many others to do. Every major city has a marathon and I want to do them all. My major goal is to do all of the world majors by the time I'm 40. I will get back to Boston someday but I'm running Paris!
I will probably get faster not being obsessed with time. Go back out there and remember the point, fun. This little passage also made me realize how lucky I am for everything I have. At this point I did think I would maybe have a family but that's okay too. I have amazing friends and I have so much in my life to be greatful for that being sad or in a running funk should probably get me slapped. The amazing experiences that have come with this journey are priceless and the friends I've made along the way have filled my life with joy. Maybe I don't have the white picket fence and 2.5 kids and a safe but reliable car. What I do have is 1/4 my former body weight, epic race medals, great friends and a ticket to the most beautiful city's marathon.
Training should be fun and full of crazy amazing experiences and I feel like now is the time to enjoy the process. The shit that happens while running is always great for a laugh. The season is always full of nut balls, half marathons and epic tales of idiots knocking into me. This training season will be full of fun because now the clock really starts. I've recovered from my last and time to get ready for the next. I'm going back to what has worked for me in the last three... Just run! Do what I do and enjoy it! Hug my family and remember where I came from and never look back. 127 days to Paris and about a month until my next race. Central Park and I have a rematch! If your wondering about the title, yes I was listening to the rainbow connection while writing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment