Smoking and winning

Smoking and winning

Thursday, December 11, 2014

The perfect lie... Social media

When I was heavier, sad and depressed I believed that most people on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter only used these platforms to show how wonderful their life was. It was a place to put your perfect family album out for the world to see. For so long I avoided being on any of the social sites because I was embarrassed of what I had become. I thought "What the hell would I put on there anyway? No kids, no husband and no real life to write about." What I didn't realize was that that's not what these sites are for.
When I decided to go on Facebook, I had already lost all the weight and was well into training and healing from my issues with depression and anorexia. I still felt pretty shameful but do to certain circumstances I gave it a go. Within the first four hours I had old friends from high school and college who were shocked at who I had become. To this day, I don't think what I do or have accomplished is really that amazing. I finally stopped being a gluten and I run. I was just part of the largest marathon ever and Paris has a field size of 50,000 and is completely filled. Clearly I'm not alone (thank god because that would be weird). Hundreds of thousands run marathons every year and if you read one of their pages you will see stories of triumph way better than mine. Honestly they inspire me to be better.
The one thing I've learned from my journey that trying to be perfect or trying to portray that I'm perfect is dumb. Of course I'm not perfect. At one point I weighed 280lbs, clearly there are some imperfections in the noggin! I've had horrible runs, horrible relationships that I have had a hand in the problems, and still go to therapy on top of running everyday. I hope what I come off as is flawed. I hope people see that I'm human and we all have bad days and our lives are not perfect. If I suck I write it. The main reason I post my times is because you can google it. It's up there for the world to see. Right now I'm in a point in my life, I am just trying to have fun, run, travel and finally live for the first time and this is my crazy adventure. You can come along for the ride:). I would hope that others see that it's okay to be flawed but still enjoy the good times. I will be honest, if I shit my pants I will write about it. If I suck it's going to be on here but if I kill it, it will be here too.
If your my friend on Facebook and have kids, I have said "Awe, how cute!" out loud in public. I love seeing my friends get married and their adorable families. I love seeing your dogs, vacations and random quotes. Most people don't put the bad stuff because who really wants to air dirty laundry? Well some do, but I will tell you right now, I don't post anything about anyone but myself. I also don't get personal due to some creepy stuff, but that's neither here nor there. What I've found is that Facebook and the like are places to catch up and for friends and families to see what your up to that maybe far away. So yes, everyday I talk about Paris because I can't f#$king wait! 123 days and it's going to be amazing! Plus all the crazy running fun that comes along the way:).

No comments:

Post a Comment